I've had one of those days and what I need now is my dog to stroke, feet up and ice cold Gimlet in my hand!
- 2 1/2 ounces gin
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- Lime wedge, for garnish
- Shake or stir gin with lime juice, and strain into an ice-filled old-fashioned glass. Garnish with a lime wedge.
French Kiss Cocktail:
- 1oz Chambord
- 1oz Vodka
- 1oz Dark Creme de Cacao
- 1.5oz half & half cream
The Marilyn Monroe Cocktail
Famous for her love of Champagne, it’s no surprise that Marilyn Monroe has a cocktail named after her. This scarlet was rarely spotted without a glass of bubbly and in celebration of this free spirit we bring you the Marilyn Monroe Cocktail.
1 shot apple brandy
All you need to to is just poor everything in a Champagne glass and you are ready to indulge in the legacy that Marilyn Monroe left behind.
What's my favorite cocktail? Hmmm....
Choosing my favorite is like asking me what my favorite film is - it's all about what mood I'm in, but there's always the ones that stick with you, represent and change the course of your life.
I find this also true for cocktails and therefore the Lava Flow is my winner. (Maybe after a few cocktails I'll tell you about my favorite films too)
Its where I started my cocktail journey, enjoying it, wanting to know how to make it and where it comes from. Drinking a Lava Flow always feels special and I'll always be in the mood for one, even at 10 in the morning (don't tell my doctor).
A good drink is like a good song, it'll always take you back to a time and place and maybe this is why its my favorite. It takes me back to sunny, lazy days in Waikiki, sitting at the poolside bar at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, salty lips, sun burnt skin and there's nothing like the mix of coconut and rum to make those days even better.
This drink is like the beautiful marriage of the gorgeous drinks, the Strawberry Daiquiri and the Pina Colada. If you're a fan or either you must give it a go!
It's a very natural, fruity tasting cocktail with the rum just cutting though to warm the back of your throat. It may seem sweet and with all that good fruit innocent by nature, but like a pineapple it has its sharp side!
Now the best place I've had one of course is in Hawaii, but to be fair I haven't found anywhere in the UK that makes them! If you know of any let me know!
Now there are a few different ways to make this drink, I went with a recipe like that at the Hilton but as I make other versions I'll let you know how they go, it's tough work but I'll manage somehow!
What you'll need:
- A sunny day (if possible)
- A Hurricane or Collins glass
- A Blender
- An Umbrella, cherry, pineapple slice, orange segment, what ever goodies you can find to garnish! You can be creative with this drink.
- 1oz light rum
- 1oz coconut rum
- 2 strawberries
- 1 banana
- 2oz pineapple juice
- 2oz coconut juice
- Ice - The thicker you want it, add more ice.
Tip! If you have no coconut rum just add 1.5 oz of rum to 0.5oz of coconut cream.
How to make it:
- Blend the ice, banana, pineapple juice and coconut juice. Leave to the side. This is the "Flow."
- Then blend the strawberries and both rums, you can use strawberry syrup if you like but there's nothing like the real thing and using frozen strawberries makes a amazing slushy effect! This is the "Lava."
- Now depending on who you listen to you can add the Lava to the Flow but I prefer pouring the lava down the sides of the hurricane glass then letting it sit t the bottom of the glass, the very slowly pour the Flow into the center of the glass then as you come to the end quicken your pace. This will leave the lava slowly creeping up the side of the glass as if erupting! OOOO!
- Add any umbrella or fruit to garnish.
What's your favorite, why and where makes it best?
Till next time.....